Quelitas ~ Spinach with Pequin & Beans
QUELITES (Spinach with beans)
Yield: 4-6 servings
Cooking Time: Approximately 15 minutes
1 1/2 pounds washed fresh spinach or 10 ounces frozen spinach *
1/4 teaspoon crushed chile pequin
1 tablespoon shortening
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tsp salt
2 slices of bacon ( omit if it’s Friday during Lent)
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1. Wash spinach and remove stem ends.
2. Place spinach in a medium-sized saucepan and steam for 10 minutes at medium heat.
3. Drain and chop spinach. Set aside.
4. Sauté onion and bacon in a medium-sized saucepan at medium heat. Add spinach and remaining ingredients to onion, bacon and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Mix cooked whole beans with quelites, sprinkle with crushed red chile pequin.